According to Dictionary “ARTICLES” refers to a particular item or object.
According to Grammar: Definition
1. The words A, An and The are called Articles (according to primary students).
2. Articles refers to the word which is used before noun in which defines whether something is specific or unspecific and it is type of adjectives (according to secondary students).
For Example: The Moon , The Earth , An Apple, A Boy etc.
Types of Articles
- Definite Article
- Indefinite Article
1. Definite Articles
Definite Article refers to “The“. It defines the noun which is specific or particularly one.
- The Earth is third planet in the solar System.
- The cat is black.
- The book is heavy.
2. Indefinite Article
Indefinite Article refers to “A and An“. It defines the noun which is unspecific or one thing, it is not used with non-countable nouns.
- Ram is a good boy.
- I have a sports bike.
- That is an excellent book.
- I think this is an animal.
How to use Articles
The Use of “AN” – Before a singular noun beginning with a vowel sound.
- We are looking for an apartment.
- An Apple
The Use of “A” – Before a singular noun beginning with a consonant sound.
- That man is a scoundrel.
- A girl
The Use of “THE” – Before a singular or plural noun which is specific or particularly one in the World.
- The theory of relativity.
- The Taj Mahal