Common and Proper Noun? Definition, Examples and Exercise
Definition: Common nouns name any person, place, thing, or idea. They are not capitalized unless they come at the beginning of a sentence. Proper nouns are the names of specific people, places, things, or ideas. Proper nouns should always be capitalized.
|man => Victor Hugo|
|mountain => Mount Kilimanjaro|
|ocean => Atlantic Ocean|
|country => United States|
|state => Minnesota|
|cat => Buttons|
Don’t forget to capitalize all parts of proper nouns. Many people forget to capitalize words like river and county in proper nouns like Yellow River and Orange Country.
Find out Proper and Common Noun from example for exercise
- The boy threw the ball to his dog, Wilson.
- We went to smith’s furniture and bought a new couch to replace our old one.
- My best friend moved to Israel to study.
- My second grade teacher was Mrs. Gilbert, an old battle-axe.
- When the titanic sank, the captain went down with the ship.
- I really want a new pair of jeans.
- I wish I could remember the name of that painter.
- They are all waiting for us at the restaurant.
- Let’s go to watch a live game at the stadium.
- I really want to live in a big city Some day.