The simplest definition of a noun is a thing and nouns are the basic building blocks of sentences. These things can represent a person, animal, place, idea, emotion – almost any thing. A noun is a part of speech, and parts of speech simply refer to types of words.
|What is a Noun?||What is a Noun for Kids?|
|Types of Nouns||Classifying Noun|
|Possessive Nouns||Collective Nouns|
|Irregular Plural Nouns||Singular and Plural Nouns|
|Common and Proper Noun||Common Proper Noun Worksheet|
The simple definition is: a person, place or thing. Here are some examples:
- person: man, woman, teacher, John, Mary
- place: home, office, town, countryside, America
- thing: table, car, banana, money, music, love, dog, monkey.
In other words, a noun is a word of a person, animal, thing or a place which contains a special meaning.
“We can touch and feel is a noun.”
Types of Noun
There are five types of noun:-
- Common noun
- Proper noun
- Collective noun
- Material noun
- Abstract noun
1. Common noun – A common noun is a name which can be used commonly for persons, animals, places or things. It represents a whole class of its kind. Example:-
2. Proper noun:- A proper noun is the particular name of the person, place, animal or thing. Proper nouns like Rajasthan, Rajesh or Ball are capitalized to show their distinction from common nouns, such as “state,” “man” or “thing.” Example:-
- Boy – Shivam
- Girl – Neha
- Place – Chittorgarh
- Thing – Table
3. Collective noun:- A collective noun is the name given to a collection of common noun considered as common noun. It refer to a group of something in particular. Examples:-
- An army of soldiers
- A band of musicians
- A heap of stones
- A group of people
- A jury of judges
4. Material noun:- A material noun is a thing which is extracted from the earth or is used to make other things. It refers to materials or substances from which things are made. Example:-
5. Abstract noun:- An abstract noun is the name of some quality, action, state, feeling, or idea. It something which we can feel or think about, but cannot touch it. Example:-
Definition Of Noun
A noun is a word that identify the name, place or thing.
There are 8 type of Noun in English Grammar.
1. Common Noun
Definition of Common Noun
A common noun that is the name of a group of similar things.
Examples of Common Noun
2. Proper Noun
Definition of Proper Noun
A Proper Noun is the name of a perticular name, place or thing. Proper Noun is always start with capital letter.
Examples of Proper Noun
- 1.Virat Kohli is the best cricket player.
- 2. Riya was born in India.
- 3. Her friend name is Kavita.
- 4. Harbhajan Singh plays for Mumbai Indian in IPL.
- 5. She has a dog named Poppy.
3. Concrete Noun
Defenition of Concrete Noun
Concrete nouns are that we can experience with our touch, feel, sight, hearing or smell.
Examples of Concrete Noun
Apple, Ambulace, Ball, Chair, Hat, Lamp, Man, Paper, Pencil, Purse, Restaurant, Shampoo, Suit, Table, Water, Oil, Rose, Mall, Library, Jacket, Hen, Gift, Ears, Eyes, Nose, Hair, Nail, Tea, Coffee, Rice.
4. Abstract Noun
Definition of Abstract Noun.
Abstract Noun refer to intangible things, like actions, feelings, ideals, concepts and qualities.
Examples of Abstract Noun
Beauty, Bravery, Charity, Ego, Goodness, Kindness, Honor, Hope, Loyalty, Jealousy, Sensitivity, Weakness, Trust, Maturity, Patience, Love, Pain, Death, Idea.
5. Collective Noun
Definition of Collective Noun
A collective noun is a type of noun that identifies the groups of people and things.
Examples of Collective Noun
- A group of Girls: Giggle
- A group of Boys: Rascal
- A group of cats: Clutter
- A group of musicians: Band
- A group of singers: Choir
- A group of players: Team
- A group of students: Class
- A group of flowers: Bouquet
- A group of trees: Forest
- A group of stars: Galaxy
6. Compound Noun
Definition of Compound Noun
A compound noun is a noun that is made with two or more words. A compound noun word is usually made with noun+ noun or noun + adjective.
Examples of Compound Noun
Any + More = Anymore
Birth + Day = Birthday
Every + Day = Everyday
Foot + Print = Footprint
Girl + Friend = Girlfriend
Heart + Beat = Heartbeat
Ear + Rings = Earings
Butter + Fly = Butterfly
7. Countable Noun
Definition of Countable Noun
Countable noun is a noun that can be in singular or plural form, or we can count easily.
Examples of Countable Noun
Restaurants, Café, Books, Glass, Mobile, Laptop, Elephant, School, College, Table, Chapters, Car, Calender, Computer, Apple, Chocolates, Egg, Tomato, Girl, Boy.
8. Uncountable Noun
Definition of Uncountable Noun
An uncountable noun is noun that can not count, only we can touch or feel.
Examples of Uncountable Noun
Water, Petrol, Oil, Ghee, Cheese, Information, Garbage, Juice, Gas, Milk, Coffee, Tea, Salt, Hairs, Time, Honey