Compound Noun. Definition, Examples and Exercises
Definition : A compound noun is a noun made up of two or more words. Each word makes up part of the meaning of the noun.
Compound nouns can be written three ways:
A single word Two word Hyphenated
Table Printer cartridge Train – spotting
Rainfall swimming pool Dry – cleaning
Hint : A compound noun is the sum of its two parts. However, there are some words that aren’t compound nouns even though they can be broken up into two words. One example is a compound adjective.
A half – eaten pie
( Half – eaten describes the pie, so it is an adjective, not a noun)
Find out compound nouns from the examples for exercise:
- We booked our holiday through a travel agent.
- I am sorry I am late. There was a terrible traffic jam on the motorway.
- Humphrey Bogart was a famous film star in the 1940s and 50s.
- The traffic lights were red but he still did not stop.
- When I got to the dentist, I had to sit in the waiting room for 40 minutes.
- Mary wanted to go out, but she could not find a babysitter for the children.
- I forgot my book bag at home.
- My little sister plays in the sandbox a lot.
- It is very important to always eat breakfast.
- We put the books on the big yellow bookshelf.