Tenses consists of present, past and future tense. In present tense, we have present continuous tense.
What is present continuous tense?
It is an essential part of present tense. It is generally used for action happening right now or for actions which are unfinished and can also be used when the action is temporary.
However, It indicated that the action is happening frequently, and may continue in the future.
Some examples of present continuous tense are:
- She is swimming.
- He is crying.
- The girl is sleeping in her room.
- He is eating his meal.
- We are visiting the hotel in the evening.
Uses of present continuous tense
- Present continuous tense is used to describe an action that is going on at this moment. For example: You are studying math, You are using my comb.
- It is used to describe a temporary event or a situation. For example: He usually speaks in English but he is speaking in Hindi today.
- It can also be used to show that something will or will not happen in the near future. For example: She is not going to the school today.
- Present continuous tense is used to describe an event of the future which is already planned and prepared. For example: I am meeting my best friend tonight.
- Present continuous tense can be used in questions as well. For example: Is she laughing?, Are we going?, etc.
- It can be used while we speak about current trends. For example: Online shopping is growing in popularity nowadays.
- This tense is also important since it is a simple sentence structure that can show actions or events that are happening right now, either in the planned future, or even in the past.
Some examples of present continuous tense are
- She is playing guitar.
- What are you wearing tonight?
- We are going to the museum.
- He is playing with his basketball.
Hence, The above mentioned part of present tense is very useful in framing sentences in English Grammar.