What is present tense?
Tenses is the most important part of English Grammar. Present tense is a part of Tenses.
However, tenses are used to classify time reference with reference to the moment of speaking.
Moreover, it is one of the type of Tenses.
However, the present tense is used for actions which are happening right now. Its principle function is to locate a situation or event in present time. In order to understand present tense, it is important to use time as a tool on which present, past and future tense are positioned.
Moreover, it describes a current event or a state of being.
Uses of present tense
Mostly, present tense is used to frame a sentence on a present situation.
- It is used to give instructions and directions. For example: You walk for ten meters, then you turn right.
- It is also used to express fixed arrangements present or future. For example: Your race starts at 10:00.
- To express general truths, habits, repeated actions or unchanging situations, emotions and wishes. For example: I drink tea (habit), I work in Australia (unchanging situations), California is an IT hub (general truth).
- It is also used to express future time after some conjunctions such as; as soon as, after, when, until. For example: She’ll give it to you when you come next Friday.
Types of Present tense in English grammar
There are four types of present tense in English Grammar. They are as follows:
- Present Perfect: This form of tense is used for repeated actions, actions where time doesn’t has importance and actions that begin in the past and are not finished yet.
- Simple present: It is used to express habits and general truths.
- Present Continuous: It is used to express an action which is taking place now.
- Present perfect continuous: Here process and result both are important. It is used to talk about ongoing actions.
Examples of Present tense
- I am eating icecream.
- She is cooking pizza for me.
- He is reading my book.
- She is coming here.
- Complete your dinner.
- Wear your shoes.
- Ram is playing cricket.
- Riya is studying.
- Bring my bag.
Moreover, it is very useful in English Grammar. It can be used while framing sentences.