Action verbs. Definition, Examples and Exercise
Definition: Action verbs name a physical or mental (abstract) action.
Jan wants a horse for her birthday.
I believe in fairies and unicorns.
Ian reads a chapter in his book each night.
Action verbs can be transitive or intransitive. Transitive action verbs “transfer” their action to a direct object. Intransitive action verbs have nothing to “transfer” their action to.
Transitive verb – Joe will send the price quote as soon as he can.
Intransitive verb – Many of the student are not well. They coughed throughout the lesson.
Find out Action Verbs from the examples for exercise:
- The dog ran across the yard.
- She accepted the job offer.
- She left in a hurry.
- The cat sat by the window.
- Will you help me with the laundry?
- The horse trotted along the trail.
- Anthony is throwing the football.
- She yelled when she hit her toe.
- I will learn to play the guitar this year.
- In the summer, we will swim in our pool.